Here is a checklist of 2020 compliance deadlines, covering retirement plans along with other health and welfare benefit plans. Thank you IslerDare PC for providing this information.
Here are key March Deadlines for 2020:
|By March 1:
||File DOL1 Form M-1 for MEWA2s
|By March 2:
||Provide 2019 ACA3 information reporting returns (Forms 1095-B and 1095-C) to individuals
|By March 15:
- Deadline to apply to the IRS for a waiver of the minimum funding standard for defined benefit and money purchase pension plans
- Process corrective distributions to “cure” failed 2019 ADP/ACP tests4 for 401(k) plan to avoid paying the 10% excise tax (a later June 30 deadline applies to 401(k) plans with eligible automatic contribution arrangements)
- Fund all 2019 company contributions to retirement plans by due date for corporate tax return in order to deduct contributions for 2019 tax year (unless Form 7004 has been filed to extend due date for corporate tax return, permitting funding by September 15)
- File Form 8928 to report excise taxes for noncompliance with certain group health plan requirements (COBRA5; HIPAA6 special enrollment, portability and nondiscrimination rules; newborn mothers’ health; mental health parity; and failure to meet certain ACA requirements), unless Form 7004 has been filed to extend due date for corporate tax return, permitting filing by September 15
- Deadline to adopt defined benefit plan amendments for the prior year for funding purposes
|By March 31:
- Receive elections from eligible ESOP7 participants to diversify a portion of their ESOP accounts
- Confirm retirement plan recordkeepers have filed Forms 1099-R, if filing electronically
- File ACA information reporting returns (Forms 1094-C and 1095-C) for 2019, if filing electronically
- File Form 5330 to report excise taxes and payment for excess 2018 plan year ADP/ACP contributions (or Form 5558 to request extension of up to 6 months to file)
- File Retiree Drug Subsidy (RDS) reconciliation with CMS8 for 2018
- DOL – Department of Labor
- MEWA – Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangement
- ACA – Affordable Care Act
- ADP/ACP – The Actual Deferral Percentage (ADP) / Actual Contribution Percentage (ACP)
- COBRA – Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act
- HIPAA – Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- ESOP – Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- CMS – The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
#retirementplan #fulcrumpartners #SECUREAct #FulcrumPartners
Related: February Compliance Calendar for Retirement Plans and Other Benefit Plans
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, accounting, legal or tax advice. Any tax advice contained herein is of a general nature. You should seek specific advice from your tax professional before pursuing any idea contemplated herein.
Securities offered through Lion Street Financial, LLC (LSF) and Valmark Securities, Inc. (VSI), each a member of FINRA and SIPC. Investment advisory services offered through CapAcuity, LLC; Lion Street Advisors, LLC (LSF) and Valmark Advisers, Inc. (VAI), each an SEC registered investment advisor. Please refer to your investment advisory agreement and the Form ADV disclosures provided to you for more information. VAI/VSI, LSF and CapAcuity, LLC. are non-affiliated entities and separate entities from OneDigital and Fulcrum Partners.
Unless otherwise noted, VAI/VSI, LSF are not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any other company, agency or government agency identified or referenced in this document.